Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hip Hop Made Me...44 Years after the birth of hip hop

Yesterday was the 44th anniversary of the birth of hip hop. A music genre that changed things, illuminated and created so many new aspects.

Growing up in Japan and Germany started my immersion and development in hip hop. It is where I began being a head phone and music lover. Always with my headphones and music going. Even up to this day.

I can remember watching the Tomblin twins mixing and scratching back in the YHS days. The music rocking and the fascination. Hell, the japanese would have all the new music to enjoy. It was wear I bout my first vinyls at. Some Kurtis Blow 8 million stories, aj scratch and basketball being playing from vinyl on my boombox. lol

Artists like:

  • Afrikan Bambatta
  • Dougie Fresh
  • Kool Moe Dee
  • the Boogie Boys
  • Just Ice  (that damn Latoya is still the business)
  • BDP
  • Mantronix
and the list goes on and on. I may not have been able to dance but I loved some music. From gangsta to mob music and the southern style. 

Hip hop inspired changes into all aspects of life. Now we hear hip hop songs in commercials that back in the day would never have let that get in the building. Or to hear white girls doing Sir Mix a Lots "baby got back." Is still hilarious. 

Today I am still jamming the old school hip hop. Key to my ABM most of the time especially with some Onyx, Tupac, DMX and stuff. 

So yesterday I went through videos and posted on facebook. From my lust over big tit Lisa Lisa from lisa lisa and cult jam to the lyrical greatness of KRS1. Had me dancing, bobbing my head and thinking about memories. 

Memories like listening to 3rd Bass and 2Live Crew on my way to Ibiza Spain from Germany.  Or all the tommy boy records from jammig on the westside of Yokota Japan. 

It made me feel good, smile, laugh and grin at so many things as I just went through them all and lived. 


It still makes me laugh at the young boy at the airport talking about gucci man is old school. Damn, I must be more ancient than I thought. lmao


Well, enjoy yourself and the music move you. 

No comments: