Monday, November 06, 2017

Poetry: The Same but Unequal

The Same but Unequal




I am just another black
But to them
I am not black enough

Set adrift on continental, color divide
While maintaining
The same imprisoned qualities
No matter what those judging me
Decide

As I ride
Will they think I am committing a crime?
Or
Will that black chick clutch her purse?
When I am not in my suit and tie

I didn’t grow up in the hood
My family didn’t struggle to get by
But you are telling me
Those things disqualify me
From dealing with the same things
That other black people have in their lives

No matter what other races
I know and socialize with
Doesn’t change the regular attacks and assumptions
Because of my deep melanin hide
And that especially includes
Many and their so called
Black pride

I don’t fit into your thoughts
Of what being black Is meant
Yet, I deal with the same
Injustices, surveillance and shit

Since my blackness is unequal
Don’t look to me for that
We family or brother man
Filibustering façade

Remember
I am not black enough to be black
But black enough to get
Wrongfully accused and shot

Yet
I am the same in others eyes
But to many of the blacks
I am just in no man’s land

I am the

Divide





From the chocolatezeus collection  11/16/17  ©

No comments: